Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's been a while

My bad! A photo-a-day seems to have turned into a photo every couple months. So to make up for that serious drought of photos and posts here's a short round up of the season through photos from Eastern Canadians, Canada Winter Games, Nationals, and the final races of the year in Sun Valley. The second part of the season was just as amazing as the first with my first NorAm victory and three gold medals and a bronze at Canada Winter Games! Unfortunately a cold after CWG knocked me out for over a week before Nationals which more or less stripped all that shape out of my legs for the final two sets of races. Also, I need to send out a big thank you to the National Cross Country Ski Development Association for their support funding part of my training season and covering my Europe/U23 Championships costs. That support means so much to me and my family, THANKS SO MUCH!
Easterns were a great set of races to travel, relax, and enjoy some fun races with good results. I finished the mini tour in fifth place, picking up my first NorAm win in the Skate sprint midweek. Some skating on the Rideau Canal, beaver tails, and a visit to Parliament made for a really fun trip and a chance to visit part of Canada I have never seen.


Photo credit: Bernard Pigeon
Photo credit: Bernard Pigeon

My first and final time at Canada Winter Games, and it was probably the funnest trip all year! It was so cool to be at such a big event and see athletes from so many different sports. We had a great team and it was awesome to be on a racing trip with Gerard, the last time I travelled and raced alongside him was my final year with BSR in 2008. I had a great time racing too coming away with four medals, most importantly the Provincial Relay gold at the end of the week!
Photo credit: All Canada Winter Games photos from www.canadagames2011.ca



Canadian Nationals this year were one of my most disappointing ever. I was really excited to get the chance to race such big races on my home course but that excitement definitely did not translate into stellar results. A decent day of sprinting and I ended up fourth but I did have my sights set higher and was really hoping to get a medal in that event.

What a solid Crew!

A week later from Nationals and we piled into the team van for the 16 hour drive from Canmore to Sun Valley Idaho. 16 hours of driving really did not help my fading shape and the high altitude made for some pretty $h!tty racing on my part, at least it was a glorious place to go skiing!


The sledding hill! This thing was "EPIK" (Heidi gets that). It really was a relaxed racing mood around these last hard days before we hit our month off, after a such a long season it was nice to end on a fun note.


"I think the beach is that way."


Thanks for reading and hope you'll be back next year to follow where I am and what I'm doing, 'til then, cheers for the great season!

jess

No comments:

Post a Comment