Monday, September 7, 2009

Busy Summer

I've always thought of summer as the two months sandwiched between our nation's birthday, and the last day of August. I think this is mainly because outside of these dates the temperature at home in the mountains is way too cold to be associated with summer. So now that I have a parameter for timeline set, I can begin to recap the summer that was. At least the summer that was for me.
Whenever I think of July, the first and foremost thought that comes to mind is; hours. Lots and lots of hours. In the past this thought of hours has only been associated with training and time with friends by the engine bridge. This year in addition to these two I also added hours of work and homework.
Much of my July training hours come in the span of one week of training in the Kananaskis Country on the Haig Glacier. As this is my first year as a Senior, my coach saw it fitting to increase my weeks hours to a new one week total for me. With 28 hours worth of training to fill we started the week with the usual 2hr run into the base camp. The base camp is where for one week blocks athletes, coaches and haig coordinators eat, sleep, and live together in three buildings set right at the foot of the Haig Glacier. I've always loved going the Haig and this past summer's visit was no exception thanks to great snow conditions, amazing food and the always fun Las Haigas Glacier Resort Disc Golf Championship. The LHGRDC is a disc golf tournament that I have organised for the last two years and for the last two years has been won by Chris Butler who beat our coach, Mike Cavaliere, last year and ousted me in the final this year to repeat as champion.
With the Haig camp a success I came home to Canmore needing to write some exams for my Athabasca University course I was enrolled in. The exams did not go that well but I hope with more careful selection of my next course I can pick up the slack in my education career.
One of the main things I love about my team is the places we get to travel to and the excitement of somewhere new and personally unexplored. Our big camp for August was set in the home of the 2010 Winter Olympics; Whistler, BC. This camp was amazing. The camp was full of distance training, intensity sessions, and lots of different workouts like swimming, yoga and team baseball games. We were also lucky enough to be in Whistler during the biggest freestyle biking competition in the world; Whistler Crankworx. Not only was the biking amazing but the downtown was packed full of people and product tents. With a buffet of cliff bars and free Monster Energy drink to be had there was almost no need to go grocery shopping in one of the most overpriced places in Canada.
As this camp ended I visited my house for about 30 minutes to switch suitcases and drive out to Calgary to catch a flight to Toronto to meet up with my dad and sister for a weekend of helping out at an aboriginal ski club's training camp. We were out on the Grey Peninsula to help out with the Chippewas' of Nawash youth camp. Because I was in Whister I didn't get much time to spend with the kids but I did have time to lead a workout, help some of the boys on their first rollerski ever and give a quick speech about being a full time athlete. And with all that travelling out of the way I was finally ready to head back to Canmore for some much needed rest which will be coming this week as I have low hours and no group training.
I apologize for the length of the post but trust me, this thing could have turned into one of those epic Thomsen D'hont type posts of 2000 words or more. I'll send out an update later this month to recap my time off and where it takes me, bye for now!




j



Me taking some lactates at the Haig, Dan Roycroft snapped this shot.















I'm in the red helmet about to be dealt a loss from Gord (blue), Mike Cavaliere took this shot.











09/10 Alberta World Cup Academy, Dan Roycroft.




Dad and I with the kids from Cape Croker

No comments:

Post a Comment